Saturday, July 5, 2008

Canning has begun



Well it is that time of year again where I spend hours in the kitchen canning. So far I have started with strawberries, rhubarb and peaches. My completed projects include strawberry jam, strawberry rhubarb jam and strawberry syrup. The peaches have successfully made it to the freezer and when I get the urge they will be made into peach jam, peach rhubarb jam and peach pie filling.

Not counting what I have already given away, I have 13 pints and 1 half pints of strawberry jam; 3 pints and 12 half pints of strawberry rhubarb jam; 3 pints and 2 half pints of strawberry syrup; and 6 freezer bags of peaches that each have 4 cups of prepared peaches.



My cupboard is starting to fill now, faster than I was expecting but that is ok. This year I am determined to not run out of strawberry jam since everyone likes it so much.

I am looking very forward to the blueberries coming into season soon as well as some experimenting with some new recipes to use with strawberries. And thanks to my friends, I have discovered that I love rhubarb and will be doing a lot more with that as well. Dan absolutely loves strawberry rhubarb pie so I made one this week and he told me it was just as good as his Aunt Willie's, a high compliment indeed.

No comments: